- Eating Disorders
- Mood Disorders
- Panic and Anxiety Disorders
- Personality Disorders
- Psychological Disorders
- Somatoform and Dissociative Disorders
- Stress and Adjustment Disorders
- A Beginner's Guide to Abnormal Psychology
- Site provides concise summaries of anxiety, mood, personality, sexual, delusional, substance use, somatoform, and dissociative disorders.
- Behavior Online
- Conversations with and discussions about notable psychotherapists.
- Bereavement in Adult Life
- Article looks at the components of grief, the normal course of grief, and complicated grief.
- Bereavement in Childhood
- Article looks at separation and loss in childhood, the long term effects of bereavement, the effects of the death of a sibling, and how to help bereaved children.
- Civilization and Insanity
- This article discusses how people believed that mental illness increased in frequency based on how primitive an ethnic group's brain was and by how civilized they were.
- One of several emerging on-line self-help services.
- Drugs, Brains, and Behavior
- This online book discusses topics that include the behavior and chemistry of the brain, psychopharmacological concepts, fear and anxiety, pain, depression, schizophrenia, arousal, tolerance, drug abuse, and habitual behaviors.
- Existential Theory of Carl Rogers
- This article discusses Carl Rogers' client centered therapy focusing on its three key points of congruence, unconditional positive regard, and empathic understanding.
- Guide to the Internet for professionals in child mental health
- "This paper offers an overall guide to the Internet and more specifically describes what is available to psychologists, psychiatrists and other professionals in child mental health. Ways in which the Internet can be accessed are outlined and comment is made on the place of the Internet in the future of child psychiatry and psychology. A glossary of terms used in this article is provided.".
- Health Psychology Library
- Site provides links to a number of web sites concerning health psychology.
- History of Chlorpromazine
- Site briefly describes the discovery of this antipsychotic drug and how it came to be an accepted form of treatment for mental disorders.
- International Kraepelin Society
- Site provides a biography of Emil Kraepelin and a number of related links.
- Mental Health Resources
- The About Mental Health Resources page provides access to a variety of resources about health and mental health as well as a very well-designed user interface.
- Nonverbal Learning Disorders on the Web
- Site provides information and resources about nonverbal learning disorders.
- Psychometric Assessment
- This site provides a brief description of ability, aptitude, and personality testing. It also discusses how tests are constructed.
- Remembering Dangerously
- This article discusses the possible dangers in recovering repressed memories.
- SALMON Study and Learning Materials On-Line for Physiological Psychology
- Site provides information about neurotransmission, depression, hormones and stress, sexual behaviour, sex differentiation, ethology, aggression, learned helplessness, drug tolerance, and drug addiction.
- Shrink Tank Web Site
- Has lots of downloadable software for clinical applications, testing, etc.
- Stanton Peele Addiction Web Site
- Contains the writings of Stanton Peele on various aspects of addiction.
- The Caregiver's Handbook
- This handbook discusses caring for elders, provides ideas that caregivers can use to look after themselves, and discusses the emotional and intellectual well-being of the elderly.
- Transference, Schema, and Assimilation
- Article discusses "the relevance of Piaget to the psychodynamic theory of transference."
- Alcohol and the Brain
- This article takes a brief look at the possible mechanisms by which alcohol effects the brain. It looks at the lipid theory, the protein theory, and the various neurotransmitters which may facilitate the absorption of alcohol.
- Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse (CCSA)
- Provides information relevant to minimizing the harm that may result from the use of alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs.
- Dual Diagnosis Website
- Site is concerned with psychological disorders accompanied by substance abuse disorders.
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
- Site provides publications, databases, and other resources about alcohol abuse and alcoholism.
- Treatment of Adolescents with Substance Use Disorders
- This online book provides information about substance abuse disorders in adolescents and about various treatment issues and options.
- Adlerian Society of Wales
- Presents information about Adler and Adlerian counselling.
- American Counselling Association (ACA) Resources
- This site presents the American Counseling Association's code of ethics, provides frequently asked questions about counseling, suggests how to cope with crisis, and more.
- Beginning Therapy With Clients: A Primer
- A number of suggestions for counselors who are meeting a client for the first interview are provided in this article.
- This article describes bibliotherapy, discusses whether it is effective, and summarizes how and by whom it should be used.
- Bowen Center for the Study of the Family
- The home page for the Bowen Center for the Study of the Family includes descriptions and illustrations of the major tenets of Bowen family systems theory.
- Campus Blues
- Site provides a collection of articles discussing issues that college students frequently face. Some issues discussed are academic problems, social adjustment problems, loneliness, and abuse.
- Career Development for Meaningful Life Work
- This article discusses the work-meaning connection, job satisfaction, career happiness, and developments in career development theory.
- Counselling Psychology in Focus
- Introduction to the field of counseling psychology: explores potential salaries, training requirements, and possibilities for financial support or practical field experience. For home page, see http://www.learnpsychology.org/
- National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC)
- This is the homepage of the National Board of Certified Counselors. It offers information about their organization and the services they provide.
- Research Methods Knowledge Base
- This comprehensive web-based textbook discusses sampling, measurement, research design, data analysis, validity, reliability, and ethics, as well has how to develop a research question and write a research paper.
- Women for Sobriety, Inc.
- Women for Sobriety was created in response to the finding that male alcoholics were more likely to recover than female alcoholics. Therefore, Women for Sobriety is specifically focused on helping women recover from alcoholism. This site provides information about the organization and a collection of articles discussing women and alcoholism.
- Anorexia and Bulimia
- This article discusses the symptoms, consequences, causes, and treatment for anorexia and bulimia.
- Eating Disorder Site
- Information about the diagnosis and treatment of anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa.
- Eating Disorders
- Site provides news, articles, stories, and information about eating disorders. Also includes articles concerning how males are affected by eating disorders.
- Eating Disorders Shared Awareness
- Good advice about various facets of eating disorders and links to other sites; based in Sudbury, Ontario.
- All About Depression
- Site provides information about depression, its causes, diagnosis, treatment, medication, special topics, and resources.
- American Association of Suicidology
- Site provides information and resources about suicide.
- Biological Theories of Manic-Depression
- Article discusses the genetic and bio-chemical theories concerning the causes of manic-depression.
- Depression and the Birth and Death of Brain Cells
- Article discusses how the death of brain cells, stress, glucocorticoids, the hippocampus and serotonin contribute to the onset of clinical depression.
- Depression in the Workplace
- This article describes what depression is, how it affects work, how unsatisfactory work conditions cause depression, and what can be done to correct the problem.
- Treatment of Major Depression in the Elderly
- This article discusses the prevalence, characteristics, and psychosocial context of depression as well as some pharmacological treatments.
Panic and Anxiety Disorders
- This site answers some common questions that people have about Agoraphobia.
- Clinical Geriatrics: Anxiety Disorders
- Article provides a discussion of some common anxiety disorders in the context of how they affect the elderly. Comorbidity and management techniques are presented as well.
- OCD Center of Los Angeles
- Site provides a brief description of obsessive compulsive disorders and descriptions of OCD spectrum disorders such as body dysmorphic disorders, hypochondriasis, phobias, social anxiety, and panic disorders. A suggested reading list and links to a number of related sites are also included.
- Social Anxiety Disorder
- Site provides information about the symptoms, causes and treatment of social anxiety disorder.
- Borderline Personality Disorder
- Site provides a brief description of borderline personality disorder.
- Borderline Personality Disorder Central
- Site provides a description of the thoughts, feelings, and behaviors of people who have Borderline Personality Disorder.
- Self-Injury: A Struggle
- Site tells the story of one girl's struggle with self-mutilation. It also has articles and links to other sites concerning self-injury.
- Etiology of Schizophrenia
- Site lets you manipulate the variables of this experiment to test the etiology of schizophrenia.
- Eugen Bleuler
- Site provides a brief biography of Eugen Bleuler. He was the first to use the term "schizophrenia."
- Site provides a vast amount of information regarding schizophrenia. It includes information about the causes of schizophrenia, its symptoms, how it can be treated, resources for coping, and personal accounts of the illness.
- Article provides a concise summary of the types, symptoms, and classes of schizophrenia.
- The Experience of Schizophrenia
- Site provides Ian Chovil's first hand experience of what life is like when you have schizophrenia. Charts, links, and information about schizophrenia can also be found on this website.
Somatoform and Dissociative Disorders
- The Problem of Somatization
- Article discusses how the conditions of our society might foster somatization to occur.
Stress and Adjustment Disorders
- A Guide to Grief
- Site provides a summary of the grieving process and it focusses on the emotions that people typically feel while grieving.
- Anger Treatment and Its Special Challenges
- This article discusses anger as a consequence of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and the challenges of treating angry clients.
- Child Trauma Academy
- Site provides a number of articles concerning many issues related to child abuse.
- National Center for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Site provides information about post-traumatic stress disorder and includes relevant literature. Some of the topics that the literature discusses with respect to post-traumatic stress disorder are accident/injury, active military duty, assessment, biology, children, ethnocultural, forensic, health, refugees, relationships, spirituality, treatment, veterans, and women.
- Trauma Info Pages
- Information about the management of traumatic stress.
- Trauma Treatment Manual
- Article describes what a person can do to help someone deal with a trauma that they have experienced.
- Applied and Interactive Theater Guide
- Contains information and links concerning drama therapy.
- Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies
- Includes information about journals, special interest groups, and ABCT membership.
- Carl Rogers
- Article provides an overview of Rogers' theories such as incongruity, defenses, fully-functioning people, and client-centered therapy.
- CounselorLink Home Page
- Main purpose is to educate the general public about counselling, psychotherapy, and mediation; has links to other counselling sites.
- Talk to Eliza and get a demonstration of artificial intelligence and nondirective psychotherapy.
- Family Therapy
- Article discusses family therapy, marriage, divorce, anger, domestic violence, child abuse, communication, and death and dying.
- Gestalt Therapy Theory: An Overview
- Site provides information about Gestalt therapy including its philosophical roots, its view of human nature, the basic principles of Gestalt therapy, and the methods of therapy.
- Music Therapy: The Power of Music
- Examines the power of using popular music in therapy. Also provides links to web-based and print-based resources pertaining to music therapy and related mental health topics.
- Personal Counseling in Secondary School Education
- Article discusses how to counsel adolescents.
- Philosophy of Psychiatry Bibliography
- Extensive book list on psychotherapeutic topics is linked to amazon.com, an online bookstore, to facilitate access to the recommendations.
- Psychiatry and Psychotherapy
- Dr. Richard Corelli provides information regarding several types of psychological disorders.
- Psychological Self-Help
- Online book describes the nature and practical use of self-help methods to induce changes in behaviour.
- Site provides information about many aspects of psychotherapy including what goes on in a psychotherapy session, what the different types of psychotherapy are, a brief description of personality, and when its time to stop going to psychotherapy.
- Self Psychology Page
- Site provides links, papers, and reprints about contemporary psychoanalysis.
- Self-Help Sourcebook Online
- A resource for finding self-help groups for individuals and families affected by a variety of psychological and medical disorders.
- Systematic Desensitization
- Site provides a guide to self-administer systematic desensitization.
- The Gestalt Therapy Page
- Links to a variety of resources in Gestalt therapy; jointly sponsored by the Gestalt Journal and the International Gestalt Therapy Association.
Please take a moment and tell us what you think of this resource
by filling in our feedback form.