- Influential People
- Behaviourism: The Early Years
- Article provides a history of the development of behaviourism.
- Burying Freud: The Website
- Professor R. C. Tallis provides a critical perspective on the contributions of Freud and psychoanalysis.
- CPA Section 25: History and Philosophy of Psychology
- Section of the Canadian Psychological Association is devoted to the study of the history of psychology.
- Canadian History of Psychology
- Site provides a list of articles concerning the history of Canadian Psychology.
- Classics in the History of Psychology
- The texts to many classic psychology articles are available at this site.
- Evolutionary Psychology: A Primer
- This article provides an introduction to evolutionary psychology. It discusses James' theory of instinct, five essential principles of evolutionary psychology, the design of organisms, nature and nurture, and reasoning instincts.
- Gestalt Therapy and Psychology
- Article provides some history of Gestalt therapy and Gestalt psychology.
- History of Cognitive Psychology
- Site provides a brief overview of the influential figures in cognitive psychology.
- History of Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Site provides a brief timeline of the history of I/O Psychology.
- History of Influences in the Development of Intelligence Theory and Testing
- Article provides information about people who have made influential contributions to intelligence theory and testing.
- History of Psychology
- "This is an e-text about the historical and philosophical background of Psychology" written by Dr. George Boeree.
- History of Psychology Archives
- Site provides biographies of selected people who greatly influenced the development of psychology.
- History of Psychology Daily Calendar
- Calendar chronicles key events in the history of psychology.
- History of Psychology Timeline
- This extensive timeline traces the history of psychology from early civilization to the present.
- Site describes hypnosis; subconscious, unconscious, and self hypnosis; and the history of hypnosis.
- Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Site provides a number of articles describing the lives and works of many influential people throughout the history of philosophy and psychology.
- Memory: A Contribution to Experimental Psychology
- This article is about Ebbinghaus' famous experiment about memory and learning.
- Milestones in Neuroscience Research
- This site provides a detailed timeline of the major events that occurred during the history of neuroscience.
- Phrenology and the Fine Arts
- Site presents an interactive phrenological head. Phrenology is the belief that each part of the brain controls a particular emotion.
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Site provides information about a number of influential people throughout the history of philosophy, and consequently, psychology. Also provides some encyclopedia entries for terms that have been used in history as well.
- The Freud Museum of London
- Site includes information about the museum and a photo of Freud's famous couch.
- The Nature of Love
- Article discusses love and Harlow's famous experiment involving wire mesh monkey mothers.
- The Story of a Mental Hospital: Fulbourn, 1858-1983
- This e-book describes the changes that have occurred in the conditions of mental hospitals from 1858-1983.
- The University of Toronto Museum of Psychological Instruments
- This site showcases the instruments used in "the earliest research and teaching program in experimental psychology in Canada.".
- Theoretical Roots of Early Behaviorism
- Article discusses "functionalism, the critique of introspection, and the nature and evolution of consciousness."
- Abraham Maslow
- Site provides a summary of Maslow's hierarchy of needs and theory of self-actualization.
- Albert Bandura
- Site provides a "biographical sketch" of Albert Bandura.
- Alfred Adler
- Article provides an overview of Adler's life and of his theories concerning lifestyle, teleology, social interest, inferiority, psychological types, childhood, birth order, and therapy.
- Article provides an overview of Aristotle's life, his writings, and theories about the soul, ethics, nature, politics, and art.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
- Site provides an overview of some of Schopenhauer's contributions.
- Carl Rogers
- Article provides an overview of Rogers' theories such as incongruity, defenses, fully-functioning people, and client-centered therapy.
- Carl Rogers
- This site provides a biography about Carl Rogers, a summary of his theories, and a timeline highlighting the important events in his life.
- David Hume
- Article provides a brief biography about Hume and also provides a summary of his contributions to topics such as empiricism, association, causation, and moral philosophy.
- Edmund Husserl
- Article provides a biography of Husserl and summarizes his theories about psychologism and transcendental phenomenology.
- Eugen Bleuler
- Site provides a brief biography of Eugen Bleuler. He was the first to use the term "schizophrenia."
- Famous Figures in Psychology
- Site provides links to websites about influential people in psychology.
- Freud: Conflict and Culture
- The Library of Congress hosts this exhibition which "examines Freud's life and his key ideas and their effect upon the twentieth century.".
- Friedrich Nietzsche
- Article discusses Nietzche's life and some of his earlier, middle, and later writings.
- Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
- Site discusses Hegel's life, his philosophy, and summarizes three of his works: Phenomenology of Spirit, Science of Logic, and Philosophy of Right.
- George Kelly
- Article summarizes Kelly's theory about the fundamental postulate and the 11 corollaries. It also discusses psychopathology and therapy.
- Gestalt Theory: The Max Wertheimer Page
- Site provides information about the famous Gestalt psychologist, Max Wertheimer, and links to articles he has written.
- Immanuel Kant
- Article provides some a summary of some of the major contributions Kant made to theories regarding how the mind works.
- Immanuel Kant: Links
- Site provides a list of links to writings by Kant, writings about Kant, and other sites related to Kant.
- Important People and Discoveries in Psychology
- PBS provides brief biographies and short synopses of people and events that played a significant role in the development of psychology.
- International Kraepelin Society
- Site provides a biography of Emil Kraepelin and a number of related links.
- Jean Piaget
- This article provides a brief summary of Piaget, the creator of an influential developmental theory.
- John Broadus Watson and Psychology From the Standpoint of a Behaviorist
- This article discusses the life of John Watson and the impact his theories had in the development of psychology.
- John Broadus Watson, I-O Psychologist
- This interesting article briefly reviews Watson's career and discusses his methods in the advertising world.
- John Locke
- Articles provides Locke's life history and discusses the limits of human understanding and the Two Treatises of Civil Government.
- John Stuart Mill
- Article discusses Mill's life history and some of his thoughts about empiricism, the scientific method, associationism, perception, minds, utilitarianism, and women.
- Karen Horney
- Article provides a brief summary of Horney's life and of her theory of neurosis.
- Karl Popper
- Article discusses Popper's life and some of the theories he created regarding the growth of human knowledge and more.
- Le Bon, Gustave (1841-1931)
- This page at Project Gutenberg has two of Le Bon's electronic texts that have been influential in social psychology: The Crowd and The Psychology of Revolution.
- Ludwig Binswanger
- Article discusses some of Binswanger's theories and existential psychology. Some topics covered are phenomenology, existence, Dasein, throwness, anxiety, guilt, death, and authenticity.
- Mind and Body: Rene Descartes to William James
- Site discusses Rene Descartes, mind/body dualism, the rise of experimental psychology, and early American psychology.
- Oedipus Redivivus: Freud, Jung and Psychoanalysis
- Article discusses Freud and Jung's relationship, how Freud created the Oedipus complex theory, and role it has played in psychoanalysis.
- Otto Rank
- Site provides a brief summary of Rank's theories about the hero, the artist, and life and death.
- Otto Rank
- Site provides a biography of Otto Rank as well as some Rankian essays.
- Rene Descartes
- This site discusses Rene Descartes' life and summarizes the various theories he created.
- Rollo May
- Article provides overview of Rollo May's life and of his existential theories.
- Saint Augustine
- Article summarizes some of the major contributions Saint Augustine made to the fields of psychology and philosophy. He was a Christian Neoplatonist.
- Articles briefly summarizes Socrates' life.
- Soren Kierkegaard
- Site provides a brief biography of Kierkegaard's life and discusses how his writings reflect events in his life.
- St. Thomas Aquinas
- As a philosopher, Aquinas opened up the relationship between faith and religion so that they could be studied separately. Article summarizes some of Aquinas' most influential ideas.
- Stanley Milgram
- Site provides a brief biography of Stanley Milgram and an overview of Milgram's theory of obedience.
- The Husserl Page
- Site provides a biography of Husserl, as well as an archives and some on-line texts.
- Wilhelm Wundt and William James
- Article discusses Wundt, James, structuralism, voluntarism, and functionalism.
- William James
- Site provides links to many articles related to topics that William James theorized about.
- William James
- Article provides a brief discussion of James' writings: ctrl The Principles of Psychology, The Will to Believe, and The Varieties of Religious Experience.
- Works of Charles Darwin
- Site provides the online text to The Origin of Species and The Descent of Man.