- Eating Disorders
- Mood Disorders
- Panic and Anxiety Disorders
- Personality Disorders
- Psychological Disorders
- Sexual Variants and Dysfunctions
- Somatoform and Dissociative Disorders
- Stress and Adjustment Disorders
- A Beginner's Guide to Abnormal Psychology
- Site provides concise summaries of anxiety, mood, personality, sexual, delusional, substance use, somatoform, and dissociative disorders.
- APA Diagnostic Classification DSM-IV
- This is the online text of the DSM-IV which is a diagnostic tool used in diagnosing psychological disorders.
- Behavior Online
- Conversations with and discussions about notable psychotherapists.
- Bereavement in Adult Life
- Article looks at the components of grief, the normal course of grief, and complicated grief.
- Bereavement in Childhood
- Article looks at separation and loss in childhood, the long term effects of bereavement, the effects of the death of a sibling, and how to help bereaved children.
- Civilization and Insanity
- This article discusses how people believed that mental illness increased in frequency based on how primitive an ethnic group's brain was and by how civilized they were.
- One of several emerging on-line self-help services.
- Dr. John Grohol's Mental Health Page
- Contains extensive resources for clinical psychologists, clients, and students; cites many special-interest internet psychology newsgroups and mailing lists.
- Drugs, Brains, and Behavior
- This online book discusses topics that include the behavior and chemistry of the brain, psychopharmacological concepts, fear and anxiety, pain, depression, schizophrenia, arousal, tolerance, drug abuse, and habitual behaviors.
- Existential Theory of Carl Rogers
- This article discusses Carl Rogers' client centered therapy focusing on its three key points of congruence, unconditional positive regard, and empathic understanding.
- Fetal Brain Tissue Grafts as Therapy for Brain Dysfunctions
- Article discusses the use of neural grafts to correct brain dysfunctions.
- Guide to the Internet for professionals in child mental health
- "This paper offers an overall guide to the Internet and more specifically describes what is available to psychologists, psychiatrists and other professionals in child mental health. Ways in which the Internet can be accessed are outlined and comment is made on the place of the Internet in the future of child psychiatry and psychology. A glossary of terms used in this article is provided.".
- History of Chlorpromazine
- Site briefly describes the discovery of this antipsychotic drug and how it came to be an accepted form of treatment for mental disorders.
- International Kraepelin Society
- Site provides a biography of Emil Kraepelin and a number of related links.
- Internet Mental Health
- A magazine/encyclopedia of mental health information.
- Mental Health Resources
- The About Mental Health Resources page provides access to a variety of resources about health and mental health as well as a very well-designed user interface.
- Mental Help Net
- Excellent site contains a vast number of mental health resources, from popular articles to specialized resources for professional psychologists.
- Site explores the issues associated with the Internet-based delivery of therapy and other psychological services.
- Nonverbal Learning Disorders on the Web
- Site provides information and resources about nonverbal learning disorders.
- Psychometric Assessment
- This site provides a brief description of ability, aptitude, and personality testing. It also discusses how tests are constructed.
- Remembering Dangerously
- This article discusses the possible dangers in recovering repressed memories.
- SALMON Study and Learning Materials On-Line for Physiological Psychology
- Site provides information about neurotransmission, depression, hormones and stress, sexual behaviour, sex differentiation, ethology, aggression, learned helplessness, drug tolerance, and drug addiction.
- Shrink Tank Web Site
- Has lots of downloadable software for clinical applications, testing, etc.
- Stanton Peele Addiction Web Site
- Contains the writings of Stanton Peele on various aspects of addiction.
- The Caregiver's Handbook
- This handbook discusses caring for elders, provides ideas that caregivers can use to look after themselves, and discusses the emotional and intellectual well-being of the elderly.
- The Wounded Healer
- Provides resources for partners, allies and surviors of sexual assault.
- Transference, Schema, and Assimilation
- Article discusses "the relevance of Piaget to the psychodynamic theory of transference."
- AADAC--Alberta Alcohol and Drug Abuse Commission
- The AADAC site offers you addictions information, a resource book, links to related sites, and information about the programs offered to help youth in the province of Alberta.
- Alcohol and the Brain
- This article takes a brief look at the possible mechanisms by which alcohol effects the brain. It looks at the lipid theory, the protein theory, and the various neurotransmitters which may facilitate the absorption of alcohol.
- Animations: How Drugs Work
- This excellent set of demonstrations show how drugs work in the body and in the brain. There is an animation showing how brain cells communicate, and there are demonstrations depicting the effects of alcohol, cocaine, and opiates in the brain.
- Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse (CCSA)
- Provides information relevant to minimizing the harm that may result from the use of alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs.
- Cocaine Abuse and Addiction
- Site provides information about cocaine including what it is, how it works, the short term and long term effects of cocaine use, and the effects of maternal use.
- Dual Diagnosis Website
- Site is concerned with psychological disorders accompanied by substance abuse disorders.
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
- Site provides publications, databases, and other resources about alcohol abuse and alcoholism.
- Treatment of Adolescents with Substance Use Disorders
- This online book provides information about substance abuse disorders in adolescents and about various treatment issues and options.
- When Seniors Drink: Alcoholism and the Elderly
- Late onset alcoholism is often a problem that goes undiscovered. This article summarizes some of the reasons why late onset occurs and why it may remain a "hidden" disease.
- Youth Drinking: Risk Factors and Consequences
- Article presents a number of developmental and psychosocial risk factors for youth drinking and substance use as well as some of the possible consequences.
- 21st Century Process Consultation
- An overview of current process consultation is provided in this article.
- AADAC--Alberta Alcohol and Drug Abuse Commission
- AADAC's website provides information about various forms of addictions such as alcohol, drugs, gambling, and tobacco.
- Adlerian Society of Wales
- Presents information about Adler and Adlerian counselling.
- American Counseling Association
- This is the homepage for the American Counseling Association. It provides resources for students, information about ethics, and much more.
- American Counselling Association (ACA) Resources
- This site presents the American Counseling Association's code of ethics, provides frequently asked questions about counseling, suggests how to cope with crisis, and more.
- An Introduction to Counselling in Canada
- Provides a range of information, both general and specific, to counselling in Canada.
- Beginning Therapy With Clients: A Primer
- A number of suggestions for counselors who are meeting a client for the first interview are provided in this article.
- Bowen Center for the Study of the Family
- The home page for the Bowen Center for the Study of the Family includes descriptions and illustrations of the major tenets of Bowen family systems theory.
- Career Development for Meaningful Life Work
- This article discusses the work-meaning connection, job satisfaction, career happiness, and developments in career development theory.
- Community Consultation Tool Kit
- This tool kits presents a "how-to" manual for community consultation. It uses the example of the Western Valley Development Authority to show how community consultation can be done successfully.
- Counselling Psychology in Focus
- Introduction to the field of counseling psychology: explores potential salaries, training requirements, and possibilities for financial support or practical field experience. For home page, see http://www.learnpsychology.org/
- Group Psychotherapy
- An overview of group psychotherapy is provided at this site along with links to other online articles and resources.
- National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC)
- This is the homepage of the National Board of Certified Counselors. It offers information about their organization and the services they provide.
- Research Methods Knowledge Base
- This comprehensive web-based textbook discusses sampling, measurement, research design, data analysis, validity, reliability, and ethics, as well has how to develop a research question and write a research paper.
- The Therapeutic Relationship
- This article discusses the therapeutic relationship between counsellors and their clients. It includes a discussion of the personal aspect of counseling, resistance, regression, and transference.
- Women for Sobriety, Inc.
- Women for Sobriety was created in response to the finding that male alcoholics were more likely to recover than female alcoholics. Therefore, Women for Sobriety is specifically focused on helping women recover from alcoholism. This site provides information about the organization and a collection of articles discussing women and alcoholism.
- Anorexia and Bulimia
- This article discusses the symptoms, consequences, causes, and treatment for anorexia and bulimia.
- Eating Disorder Referral and Information Center
- Site provides information on all types of eating disorders and treatment resources.
- Eating Disorders
- Site provides news, articles, stories, and information about eating disorders. Also includes articles concerning how males are affected by eating disorders.
- Eating Disorders Shared Awareness
- Good advice about various facets of eating disorders and links to other sites; based in Sudbury, Ontario.
- Eating Disorders in Adolescents: Principles of Diagnosis and Treatment
- Article discusses the issues that arise when adolescents have eating disorders.
- Eating Disorders: Facts About Eating Disorders and the Search for Solutions
- Site provides an overview of anorexia, bulimia, binge eating disorder and of some treatment strategies.
- All About Depression
- Site provides information about depression, its causes, diagnosis, treatment, medication, special topics, and resources.
- American Association of Suicidology
- Site provides information and resources about suicide.
- Assessing and Managing Depression in the Terminally Ill Patient
- Article discusses some of the barriers to recognizing depression in terminally ill patients. In order to illustrate the points made, case studies are provided along with examples of how to diagnose and treat depression.
- Biological Theories of Manic-Depression
- Article discusses the genetic and bio-chemical theories concerning the causes of manic-depression.
- Canadian Association for Suicide Prevention
- Provides information about the organization, online brochures and a directory of prevention centres and survivor support groups.
- An interview featuring Dr. Edwin H. Cassem and Dr. Joseph T. Coyle provides a discussion describing depression as an illness, the role serotonin plays in the onset of depression, and how common the illness is.
- Depression and the Birth and Death of Brain Cells
- Article discusses how the death of brain cells, stress, glucocorticoids, the hippocampus and serotonin contribute to the onset of clinical depression.
- Depression in the Workplace
- This article describes what depression is, how it affects work, how unsatisfactory work conditions cause depression, and what can be done to correct the problem.
- Online Depression Screening Test
- Online test from New York University's Department of Psychiatry provides a preliminary indicator of clinical depression. It also provides psychological self-help information and advice.
- Suicide Awareness
- Information, resources, and practical advice about suicide prevention.
- Suicide Information and Education Centre
- Canada-based centre provides a wide variety of resources in suicide prevention; site has won several awards.
Panic and Anxiety Disorders
- This site answers some common questions that people have about Agoraphobia.
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Article describes the symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder.
- OCD Center of Los Angeles
- Site provides a brief description of obsessive compulsive disorders and descriptions of OCD spectrum disorders such as body dysmorphic disorders, hypochondriasis, phobias, social anxiety, and panic disorders. A suggested reading list and links to a number of related sites are also included.
- Antisocial Personality Disorder
- Site provides information about antisocial personality disorder including how to diagnose it and treat the disorder.
- Borderline Personality Disorder
- Site provides a brief description of borderline personality disorder.
- Borderline Personality Disorder Central
- Site provides a description of the thoughts, feelings, and behaviors of people who have Borderline Personality Disorder.
- Dependent Personality Disorder
- Article provides a good description of dependent personality disorder. It also discusses how the disorder can be treated, even when it is comorbid with an addiction.
- Dual Diagnosis and the Antisocial Personality Disorder
- Article provides a good description of antisocial personality disorder, a discussion concerning how it can be treated, and also a discussion regarding how to treat a person who has antisocial personality disorder and an addiction.
- Dual Diagnosis and the Borderline Personality Disorder
- Site provides a description of borderline personality disorder, discusses how it can be treated, and discusses what happens when the disorder is comorbid with an addiction.
- Dual Diagnosis and the Paranoid Personality Disorder
- Article provides a description of paranoid personality disorder, various methods of treating the disorder, and also a description of how to treat the disorder when it is comorbid with an addiction.
- Narcissistic Personality Disorder
- Article discusses the features of the narcissistic personality disorder, and the implications the disorder has on the people's self image, views of others, relationships, and treatment.
- Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder
- Site provides an in-depth description of the obsessive compulsive personality disorder including how it can be treated. It also discusses how to treat a person who has the disorder and also an addiction.
- Schizoid Personality Disorder
- Article provides a good description of the schizoid personality disorder and its treatments. It also includes a discussion regarding how to treat a schizoid personality disorder that is comorbid with an addiction.
- Schizotypal Personality Disorder
- Article provides a description of the symptoms and treatment of schizotypal personality disorder. It also provides a discussion about treating the disorder when it is comorbid with an addiction.
- Asperger's Syndrome: The Geek Syndrome
- Article discusses Asperger's syndrome and why there is an increased incidence in Silicon Valley.
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Site provides a description of obsessive compulsive disorder and provides links to online resources.
- Etiology of Schizophrenia
- Site lets you manipulate the variables of this experiment to test the etiology of schizophrenia.
- Eugen Bleuler
- Site provides a brief biography of Eugen Bleuler. He was the first to use the term "schizophrenia."
- Schizoaffective Disorder
- Site provides information about the Schizoaffective Disorder including a description, the treatment, and research about the disorder.
- Site provides a vast amount of information regarding schizophrenia. It includes information about the causes of schizophrenia, its symptoms, how it can be treated, resources for coping, and personal accounts of the illness.
- Article provides a concise summary of the types, symptoms, and classes of schizophrenia.
- Stories of Recovery and Personal Experiences
- Site provides a number of personal stories concerning how people recovered from mood disorders and schizophrenia.
- The Experience of Schizophrenia
- Site provides Ian Chovil's first hand experience of what life is like when you have schizophrenia. Charts, links, and information about schizophrenia can also be found on this website.
Sexual Variants and Dysfunctions
- Adolescence, Sexual Orientation, and Identity
- This article proposes a set of stages that adolescents might experience as they begin to realize they may me homosexual.
Somatoform and Dissociative Disorders
- Munchausen Syndrome
- This article describes a case study of a lady who has Munchausen Syndrome and then discusses what the characteristics of Munchausen Syndrome are. Munchausen
Syndrome is a factitious disorder where people pretend to have an illness in order to be treated medically.
- The Spectrum of Dissociative Disorders
- Site provides "an overview of the diagnosis and treatment" of dissociative disorders.
Stress and Adjustment Disorders
- Anger Treatment and Its Special Challenges
- This article discusses anger as a consequence of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and the challenges of treating angry clients.
- Child Trauma Academy
- Site provides a number of articles concerning many issues related to child abuse.
- National Center for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Site provides information about post-traumatic stress disorder and includes relevant literature. Some of the topics that the literature discusses with respect to post-traumatic stress disorder are accident/injury, active military duty, assessment, biology, children, ethnocultural, forensic, health, refugees, relationships, spirituality, treatment, veterans, and women.
- Rape Trauma Syndrome
- Article describes a number of the symptoms that may appear at the various stages of the rape trauma syndrome.
- Trauma Info Pages
- Information about the management of traumatic stress.
- Trauma Treatment Manual
- Article describes what a person can do to help someone deal with a trauma that they have experienced.
- Applied and Interactive Theater Guide
- Contains information and links concerning drama therapy.
- Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies
- Includes information about journals, special interest groups, and ABCT membership.
- Carl Rogers
- Article provides an overview of Rogers' theories such as incongruity, defenses, fully-functioning people, and client-centered therapy.
- CounselorLink Home Page
- Main purpose is to educate the general public about counselling, psychotherapy, and mediation; has links to other counselling sites.
- Electroconvulsive Therapy
- Article discusses how effective electroconvulsive therapy is and the risks and adverse effects associated with it.
- Talk to Eliza and get a demonstration of artificial intelligence and nondirective psychotherapy.
- Gestalt Therapy Theory: An Overview
- Site provides information about Gestalt therapy including its philosophical roots, its view of human nature, the basic principles of Gestalt therapy, and the methods of therapy.
- Music Therapy: The Power of Music
- Examines the power of using popular music in therapy. Also provides links to web-based and print-based resources pertaining to music therapy and related mental health topics.
- Personal Counseling in Secondary School Education
- Article discusses how to counsel adolescents.
- Philosophy of Psychiatry Bibliography
- Extensive book list on psychotherapeutic topics is linked to amazon.com, an online bookstore, to facilitate access to the recommendations.
- Psychiatry and Psychotherapy
- Dr. Richard Corelli provides information regarding several types of psychological disorders.
- Psychological Self-Help
- Online book describes the nature and practical use of self-help methods to induce changes in behaviour.
- Site provides information about many aspects of psychotherapy including what goes on in a psychotherapy session, what the different types of psychotherapy are, a brief description of personality, and when its time to stop going to psychotherapy.
- Self Psychology Page
- Site provides links, papers, and reprints about contemporary psychoanalysis.
- The Gestalt Therapy Page
- Links to a variety of resources in Gestalt therapy; jointly sponsored by the Gestalt Journal and the International Gestalt Therapy Association.